Through various giving opportunities, Monmouth Medical Center Foundation is able to support many of the programs and services offered by Monmouth Medical Center. Gifts may be earmarked specifically for the following as well as many other programs and services. Here is a brief description of some programs that are more widely known at Monmouth
The Cancer Center at Monmouth continues to break barriers in cancer care through the work of The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center and the newly expanded Institute for Advanced Radiation Oncology. The Cancer Center has been accredited by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons as a "teaching hospital cancer center" - the group's highest designation held by only one-fifth of all U.S. hospitals with cancer programs.
Since opening in 1994, The Jacqueline M. Wilentz Comprehensive Breast Center has celebrated numerous milestone achievements including:
- The only breast center in New Jersey and one of five in the nation to receive American College of Radiology accreditation for ultrasound-guided needle breast biopsy.
- Total compliance with stringent Mammography Quality Standard Act guidelines.
- Voted one of the top 10 breast cancer centers in the nation by SELF Magazine.
Offer sentinel node biopsy, a new alternative to major surgery in determining whether a woman's breast cancer has spread to her lymph nodes.
- Selected as a regional site for the STAR trial, a national study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene for the prevention of breast cancer.
- First facility in the state of New Jersey to offer digital mammography.
Institute for Advanced Radiation Oncology
As the region's pioneer in delivering the most state-of-the-art cancer care, Monmouth Medical Center always has placed great importance on its radiation oncology services while remaining committed to its long-standing mission - to provide the most advanced treatment to patients so that they receive the best comprehensive cancer care. As the result of a recent aggressive expansion, Monmouth's Institute for Advanced Radiation Oncology now features new systems representing the most advanced technology available in the country for state-of-the-art radiation treatment. Below is a list of the Department of Radiation Oncology's recent milestones:
- Monmouth is the first hospital in the region to offer two advanced radioactive implant therapies for the treatment of prostate cancer and to introduce 3-D conformal radiation therapy - new technology that provides computer assisted precision targeting of tumors.
- Monmouth Medical Center is the first hospital in New Jersey and New York to introduce a breakthrough in radiation therapy known as SIMTEC (sequential intensity modulation technology) and IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy), which offer pinpoint precision in the targeting of cancerous tumors.
- Monmouth is one of the first hospitals in Monmouth and Ocean Counties to offer stereotactic radiosurgery for the treatment of certain brain tumors and other intracranial disorders.
The Cranmer Ambulatory Surgery Center
The Cranmer Ambulatory Surgery Center, which opened April 1999, represents an enormous step at Monmouth in providing patients with same-day surgical services. Located on the Monmouth Medical Center's main campus, the 19,000-square foot facility is equipped to perform all types of same-day surgical procedures for patients of all ages. The Center features four operating suites, a spacious post anesthesia care unit, recovery lounge and a full array of amenities specifically designed for children, including private pre- and post-operative rooms, a play room and child life services. Additionally, two state-of-the-art techniques- the OtoLAM laser for treating ear infections and the Xomed Landmarx image guidance system for pinpoint accuracy in sinus surgery are being offered.
The Lewis M. and Judith Ann Eisenberg Family Center
With nearly 3,200 births annually, (the highest number of deliveries in Monmouth and Ocean counties and fourth highest in the state) the Eisenberg Family Center at Monmouth Medical Center has been redesigned and renovated to offer an entire floor of spacious, private postpartum rooms for mothers and their newborns as well as a new labor, delivery and recovery unit. Mothers have the option to have their babies remain at their bedside or brought to the newborn nursery at anytime. This project fosters Monmouth's family-centered care philosophy and promotes mother/baby care as new families prepare for the journey home.
Monmouth's Cardiology Services offers a wide array of services including a cardiac catheterization laboratory, a cardiac laboratory and the Joel Opatut Cardiac Rehabilitation Program. The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory provides invasive cardiac services using the most advanced diagnostic technology and treatments for cardiac disorders. The cardiac laboratory offers a variety of diagnostic tools to determine heart problems including cardiac stress tests, echocardiograms, electrocardiograms, and blood pressure screening. The cardiac rehabilitation program offers patients recovering from heart disease and those seeking heart disease prevention the opportunity to learn how to prevent or decrease risk factors for developing heart disease through education, exercise and counseling.
The Behavioral Health Network
The Behavioral Health Network at Monmouth Medical Center offers several Psychiatric Services including:
- Adult Inpatient Care offers short-term, intensive psychiatric treatment for adults with a full range of psychiatric problems.
- The Adult Partial Care Program offers patients psychosocial rehabilitation for patients recovering from acute psychiatric illness.
- Pollak Mental Health Services is a collaboration of staff (psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, case managers and interns) who provide patients with the care they need to return to community living or receive outpatient treatment in order to remain employed and functioning in the community.
- Children's Crisis Intervention Services is the only state designated program for the inpatient treatment of children with emotional, behavioral and mental disorders.
- The Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program works with 12 to 17-year olds suffering from behavioral and emotional disorders coupled with substance abuse problems.
- The Monmouth County Screening Center offers 24-hour crisis intervention and is the designated psychiatric screening service for Monmouth County.
Geriatric Health Center
The Geriatric Health Center offers a comprehensive medical evaluation service for adults over 60. The program evaluates patients experiencing confusion, memory loss, depression, difficulty with mobility and general decline in abilities. Directed by a team of medical specialists, the program provides recommendations to improved patient quality of life. Additionally, the health center offers the Care Coordination Program which assists seniors and their families in identifying areas of concern and community resources. This free program can be of assistance to people dealing with many different types of concerns including: caregiver stress, coping with life transitions, long term planning, alternate living arrangements, coping with memory loss, financial/ legal concerns and difficulty accessing needed services.
Pediatric Services- The Children's Hospital at Monmouth Medical Center
The Children's Hospital at Monmouth Medical Center is the setting for comprehensive pediatric care for children from birth to adolescence. Pediatric programs include: the Center for Infant and Toddler Development, Child Life Services, the Cystic Fibrosis Center, the Muscular Dystrophy Program, the Pediatric Endocrinology Program, the Pediatric Neurology Program, and the Valerie Fund Children's Cancer Center.
The Regional Newborn Center includes the neonatal intensive care unit, the largest state-designated regional perinatal center in Monmouth and Ocean counties. More than 400 infants are treated each year at Monmouth for problems such as prematurity, low-birth weight, acute illness or congenital disorders, as well as problems requiring emergency surgery including neurosurgical procedures.
In addition to these and the many other programs offered at Monmouth, much of the hospital's focus is serving the medically underinsured and underserved. Monmouth Health Center at Broadway provides a full range of primary care services for the community including physicals, dental screenings, orthopedic care as well as nutritional counseling and health education. The Dental Clinic at Monmouth offers a full range of dental services including orthodontics and geriatric, pediatric and restorative dentistry. Monmouth also offers Community Health Education Programs and Support Groups for the promotion of wellness and prevention of illness.
[ top ]